Author Topic: Hello from Canada  (Read 6382 times)

brashley46

• Offline Offline
Hello from Canada
« on: February 03, 2008, 09:43:37 PM »
Hi!
I'm a 61-year-old Vietnam War resister and veteran of the union movement, a member of first Local 204 and then Local 1.on of the SEIU. I've been a shop steward twice, a member of our executive council, and a health-and-safety committee rep. I'm an early pensioner, thanks to our collective agreement and union representation on the board of our pension fund, and working part-time.

I've been an advocate of independent working-class political action since I was in my 20s. I am a member of the executive committee of the St. Paul's constituency association of the Ontario and federal New Democratic Party, our social-democratic labour party up here north of the Lakes; my friends in the Excited States are building the Labor Party, the Reconstruction Party, and backing Sister Cynthia McKinney's campaign for the Green and the Peace & Freedom nominations for the Presidency.

I'm looking forward to discussing all of the above and the state of the Universe with some like-minded people, and the rest of you guys too. :)

Tony Budak

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • Community Labor News
Hello Canada
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 11:55:24 PM »
Hi brashley46,

Great to meet you, and hope that you find this forum a trusting, enlightened and cool place for expressing your views.

Perhaps you can give direction regarding my friend's question, "I have been searching for SEIU online rank & file tools/fora. I (so far)  find some that are more particular to a local, but have not found any that are  SEIU - wide. Do you know of any?"

Any thoughts on this, I beleive he is looking for SEIU rank and file discussion forums, list serves, web sites etc.
With Respect and Cheers,
Tony Budak, Site Owner and Webmaster

Please do not email or PM me for CLNews technical  support. Instead Post Questions and Concerns Here

brashley46

• Offline Offline
Hello from Canada
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 12:16:33 AM »
Quote from: Tony Budak;6896
Hi brashley46,

Great to meet you, and hope that you find this forum a trusting, enlightened and cool place for expressing your views.

Perhaps you can give direction regarding my friend's question, "I have been searching for SEIU online rank & file tools/fora. I (so far)  find some that are more particular to a local, but have not found any that are  SEIU - wide. Do you know of any?"

Any thoughts on this, I beleive he is looking for SEIU rank and file discussion forums, list serves, web sites etc.

In the last five years or so the leadership had a couple of blogs about matters they were interested in, on which anybody could comment; I intervened on a couple of threads once in a while. Since the split from the AFL-CIO there's really been nothing SEIU specific. My guess would be that such a forum would nowadays be filled with opposition to Andy's agenda. :D

Tony Budak

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • Community Labor News
Hello Canada
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 12:44:05 AM »
Oh well, hope springs eternal. One of the main reasons for this site is that the unions themselves give only lip service to any internal vocal criticism, there's little if any loyal rank and file institutionized opposition, i.e., TDU (what ever happened to them?) Those that come to mind of course are my heroes in the Soldiers of Solidarity, now there's a rank and file role model group.
With Respect and Cheers,
Tony Budak, Site Owner and Webmaster

Please do not email or PM me for CLNews technical  support. Instead Post Questions and Concerns Here

Monty Reed Kroopkin

• Offline Offline
Hello from Canada
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 07:57:32 PM »
I am also new to CL forums, and haven't even written up a self-introduction yet, but I saw this exchange and would like to say hello back to Canada (from San Diego, Californias) and also ask you (and everybody) to help spread the word about the answer to where to find an SEIU - wide rank & file democracy group. There is a new one: SMART. I will need to do a better self-intro, but this also is a good start on that (as I am working with SMART).

I guess I also ought to ask Tony the best way to start a forum on SMART. ???

Meanwhile, please help spread the word about the new rank and file democracy movement erupting in SEIU. The SEIU convention is in June, and organizers especially need to reach SEIU members everywhere, as soon as possible. Please forward this info to progressive lists and websites and make sure any SEIU members you know hear about it.

See SMART at http://www.reformseiu.org/ and
See related news, documents, and history at SEIU Voice http://www.seiuvoice.org/search/label/In%20the%20News

Please note that SMART is a rank and file organization open to all SEIU members, whereas SEIU Voice is produced to promote the official position of the membership and elected Executive Board and officers of United Healthcare Workers-West (UHW-SEIU). Positions of SMART and UHW are similar, but not identical.

Solidarity,
Monty Reed Kroopkin,
SEIU Local 221 Steward and SMART organizer

brashley46

• Offline Offline
Hello from Canada
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 03:55:02 PM »
Hi, Monty, I've tried to join SMART, but it doesn't seem to be set up to accept Canadian  postal addresses.  Keeps asking me to specify a state, but there's no choice for those of us who don't live South of the Lakes. :confused:

Quote from: Monty Reed Kroopkin;7594
I am also new to CL forums, and haven't even written up a self-introduction yet, but I saw this exchange and would like to say hello back to Canada (from San Diego, Californias) and also ask you (and everybody) to help spread the word about the answer to where to find an SEIU - wide rank & file democracy group. There is a new one: SMART. I will need to do a better self-intro, but this also is a good start on that (as I am working with SMART).

I guess I also ought to ask Tony the best way to start a forum on SMART. ???

Meanwhile, please help spread the word about the new rank and file democracy movement erupting in SEIU. The SEIU convention is in June, and organizers especially need to reach SEIU members everywhere, as soon as possible. Please forward this info to progressive lists and websites and make sure any SEIU members you know hear about it.

See SMART at http://www.reformseiu.org/ and
See related news, documents, and history at SEIU Voice http://www.seiuvoice.org/search/label/In%20the%20News

Please note that SMART is a rank and file organization open to all SEIU members, whereas SEIU Voice is produced to promote the official position of the membership and elected Executive Board and officers of United Healthcare Workers-West (UHW-SEIU). Positions of SMART and UHW are similar, but not identical.

Solidarity,
Monty Reed Kroopkin,
SEIU Local 221 Steward and SMART organizer