Author Topic: Comments about Web Site  (Read 3550 times)

Kim Scipes

• Offline Offline
Comments about Web Site
« on: May 22, 2007, 12:07:50 PM »
Hi, Tony--

---        Just got off the web site--tried to send you comments, as you requested, but it was too confusing!  [But with your help, am trying again!--thanks.)

---        I logged into the site, and then went to Community Labor News.  Even though I've been there several times, I do not find this user friendly.  I think you need to find out what others want, but let me give you my thoughts.

When I log into a site, I want to have an overview of what's available, right on top.  Personally, I like the way Michael Albert's done Z Mag (www.zmag.org/weluser.htm :  you come up on the page, you see right at the top the latest posts (by last three dates), and then on the same page, material is organized by subject, and you can go to specific areas and by subject categories.  (So, yes, that means some duplication, but I think it's very helpful.)

This is helpful--when I log in, I'm not trying to make a career out of checking out a web site.  I want it quick and easy, so I spend my time on the content, not having to figure out how to get there.
Here is a tip, once you are registered and after you fill in the user name, password and check the "remember me" box, you then access the main board area. I suggest that you pull up the page where the list of posted article from authors is located. This page can easily be the CLNews Forum DOOR for you. Remember, save, or make a short cut to that site address, URL, Universal Resource Locator.

That site page can be if you wish the entry page in the future, just DON'T log out from there, instead, use your home pc web browser handler and click the red X in the top right corner.

In the future when you go to the URL you will be logged in at the page you left, with a refresh already done, if you already have set browser to renew or the latest page option. All new content posted is on the screen. The log in will in coded for you, the web site URL, address, didn’t change but the page contents did. Life is good.:D

Oh, you must have your home system set with “cookies” enabled. They are the little gremlins that do this clicking for you.

What I'd suggest is that once you get signed in, then it should redirect you to a cover page (a top page), which gives you can overview of what's available.  I'm particularly interested in knowing what subjects people are writing on.
The site page where all the new posts or traffic is also the page that you should Exit off. It is, http://www.clnews.org/forums/index.php

Now the next time that you point your browser to this URL you will pull up a refreshed index of the forum threads. If your browser is set to refresh every web page, then you will see any new added threads or comments.

When you pull up this page if any new posts are there, you'll see a RED profile face on the left of the board. That means fresh content.

Also when you post material and before hitting the red x to exit, be sure to subscribe to that thread. This will automatically send you an email should anyone respond to your article. This subscription option works on boards and threads that you didn't post to, but wish to be kept up to date when new comments are added.

What I'd like to see, on top, is a list of the categories of writings people are writing on.  If they are not clear, you may have to make some command decisions, but I think that would be ok:  you could set up categories such as labor internationally, companies (obviously, Delphi, GM, Chrysler, etc., could be subsets), current struggles, militant strategies, etc.  Then, I could scan what's up, and then easily go to the categories I'm interested at the time, without having to get a(nother) PhD trying to figure out what's available, and then how to access it.
Yes, categories are needed and more important as the number of articles  increases. I welcome your list of suggested topics as a start and will work those topic ideas into the board in the very near future.

I think Z Net offers a much more accessible model than the one you have here--and that's not to put you down or dismiss your work, but for me, as user, the approach Z Net takes is a better, easier, and more accessible way to do it--and that's partly why I go to Z Net many times more often than I do to your's.
However, Z Net's means and ends are totally of another kind. Although it may not appear at a quick glance,  these CLNews forum boards provide a process opportunity to combine discussion with data base generation resulting in an online community. The development is full of complexities, which are labor intensive but not overly difficult. Things would go a lot faster if more writers and readers joined at a quicker rate.

---        Now, for another point.  You send out a number of items every day (or most!) via e-mail.  I'd like to see these listed on the web site, with a specific link (and URL) for each, so I could refer back to them over time (sort of as an archive), but more importantly, so I could respond to them.  So, for example, today you send out a piece (and this may have just been a general posting to the list serve that you had nothing to do with) on Democracy Promotion with a link to an article in Counterpunch.  Now, while the piece is ok, it is extremely basic, and gives no sources as to where to find out more, or anything like that.  As you probably remember, I have done a lot of writing on this issue, plus have an on-line bibliography on the labor movement, where people could go to find out more information about this or other labor-related material.  There should be an easy way for me to respond to this particular piece, with suggestions to people for how to get more information.  (I will send something to the list, addressing this, and that works for people who are on the list, but I think this message should be easily accessible to anyone who accesses the web site.)  So, I think you should also include a "resource listing" on the web site--I didn't see it--where people could see right off the top sites for information on labor:  like AUD, Labor Notes, Michael Eisenscher's Information Solidarity Service, my on-line labor bibliography, etc.  (And as I write this, I realize I need to list CL News on MY web site--will do so in June, when I return to work!)
Yes, you make several excellent points.

1 - The CLNews list serve is another  software program not technically connected to the CLNews Forum boards and CLNews list serve predate the CLNews Forum boards. There are few current ways to merge and as I contemplate the best solution I'm told a new modification will soon be released. Please be patient, this is high on the list of things to do.

2 - The "resource listing" is easy to create, look for it as a category in the near future,

Please notice that using the forum boards, as such then, to archive  list serve mailings and developing a  resource list then any Community Labor member would be able to comment on add items to the resource list Posts in the appropriate thread.

----        I think the larger idea is that each labor-related web site on the web is a node in the network of labor communications, and we need to give someone who reaches one, access (or potential access, through links) to ALL of them or all we know about.  In other words, that we should promote each other, as a way of building solidarity.
Yes, did you notice that this site has a portal page which is a beginning  on that idea.  Please send me your site banner and a URL and I will be happy to add it to the http://www.clnews.org/

Let me know what you think.  I hope these comments are helpful.

Best--
Kim Scipes
Let me know if my replies meet your [/SIZE][/FONT]                              concerns  adequately.
With Respect,
Tony Budak

Kim Scipes

• Offline Offline
Comments about Web Site--response to Tony's reply
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 12:14:54 PM »
Tony--

I just looked at your reply to my earlier comments--thanks for replying.

However, this STILL doesn't work well for me.  You assume too much knowledge on the user end, and because this stuff is NOT as transparent as you intend, it leaves me lost.  I suggest you try to enter from outside, and act on NOTHING but what comes up on the web site--I think you'll find it more difficult than you believe.

When I enter the site, I fill in my user name and password.  (I can't find the "remember me" box you mentioned.  

You suggest that I pull up the page where the list of posted articles from authors is located--I would like to be able to do so, but you've got to tell me how to get there:  it is NOT obvious!  (NOTE:  this is what I'm suggesting--that it be made obvious on the web site to anyone who comes to the site.)

I'm going to stop here for now.  I hope these additional comments help.  I want to be able to use this web site in as easy a manner as you suggest can be done--maybe I'm just slow, but it ain't here yet.  To be continued....

Kim

Tony Budak

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • Community Labor News
Comments about Web Site
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 03:12:31 AM »
Quote from: Kim Scipes;703
Tony--

I just looked at your reply to my earlier comments--thanks for replying.

However, this STILL doesn't work well for me.  You assume too much knowledge on the user end, and because this stuff is NOT as transparent as you intend, it leaves me lost.  I suggest you try to enter from outside, and act on NOTHING but what comes up on the web site--I think you'll find it more difficult than you believe.

Well, as I already know how to navagate the site, I can't forget what I know in order to be a novice. :) For that matter, I always enter the site from the outside. Anyhow, I will pretend and give a good effort at being new. :confused::eek:

When I enter the site, I fill in my user name and password.  (I can't find the "remember me" box you mentioned.  
The "remember me" box is visible only when entering the site http://clnews.org/forums/ and visible only if you loged out during your last visit.

You suggest that I pull up the page where the list of posted articles from authors is located--I would like to be able to do so, but you've got to tell me how to get there:  it is NOT obvious!  (NOTE:  this is what I'm suggesting--that it be made obvious on the web site to anyone who comes to the site.)
OK, point web browser to http://clnews.org/forums/

At this point, in the upper right at about 2 o'clock, you should log with I.D. and with password then check "remember me" box.

Now hit enter or click "Log In". After the "Welcome..." messge you'll be sent the forum index page again with you now being logged in.

In front of you is the forum index page. If you'll center your cursor over the "yellow hand" of the Logo hand circle and then move the cursor stright down in a vertical line.

Now you see the forum headings FONT change color. White font will turn yellow, black font will change to red. Those are hypertext and if clicked will open that forum (really a folder in MS parlance) at a lower level for you to view.

All of the posting action or article submitting takes place at the second level, where we intend to go now.

So lets click the now red heading,
Start A Thread Subject For Our Information, Assessment, And Comment

Now the page changes, one folder down, to this web page address or URL, http://clnews.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9

You should see the listing of posted articles from various writers. There are about 20 articles or threads on the screen. In the upper right or lower right of the LIST block you can click to the second and third additional pages of articles or threads.

Before we go any further I would save this web site address or URL, either as a short cut, or in my favorites, or even in the browser short memory. But knowing where you've saved the URL of the article list page will make life easier getting back to this point tomorrow or later in the week.

Please notice the red X in the very top corner, it's the browser controll of three little boxes to
minimize, maximize, or turn off the web browser. If you click that red X, the cookie function will save your log in codes. In the future to enter the article list page again, all you have to do is point the browser to the URL address of the page you exited from, which is the URL page address that you saved in the above paragraph.

I'm going to stop here for now.  I hope these additional comments help.  I want to be able to use this web site in as easy a manner as you suggest can be done--maybe I'm just slow, but it ain't here yet.  To be continued....

Kim
No Kim, you are not slow and this will get as easy as I suggest. Why,
because it is now clear that you don't give up. You also  agree with the quote in my  signature  close  from  Susan B. Anthony :D
With Respect and Cheers,
Tony Budak, Site Owner and Webmaster

Please do not email or PM me for CLNews technical  support. Instead Post Questions and Concerns Here

Tony Budak

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • Community Labor News
Please see the forum index layout of topics
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 02:01:01 AM »
Hey Folks,

Please see the forum index layout of topics. I've tried to  design a topic taxonomy that fits the CLNews vision and purpose. Of course there  are overlaps, such that a writer's article may fall under two separate headings,  but I believe that is to be expected. In any case I hope that these changes will  make it both easier and informative for you to use.

So let me know what  you all think?

Post your comments in the Community Labor Forums >  About Us, Members and Admin.  > The Community Labor Lounge >Comments about  Web Site (THREAD)

It will be good practice for all of us to use the  forum's  boards.

See you on the Forum,
Cheers,
Tony Budak
With Respect and Cheers,

Please do not email or PM me for CLNews technical  support. Instead Post Questions and Concerns Here

Tony Budak

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • Community Labor News
Installed List ARCHIVE and List Sign-Up FORM
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 01:29:46 PM »
Kim said --- Now, for another point. You send out a number of items every day (or most!) via e-mail. I'd like to see these listed on the web site, with a specific link (and URL) for each, so I could refer back to them over time (sort of as an archive), but more importantly, so I could respond to them. So, for example, today you send out a piece (and this may have just been a general posting to the list serve that you had nothing to do with) on Democracy Promotion with a link to an article in Counterpunch. Now, while the piece is ok, it is extremely basic, and gives no sources as to where to find out more, or anything like that. As you probably remember, I have done a lot of writing on this issue, plus have an on-line bibliography on the labor movement, where people could go to find out more information about this or other labor-related material. There should be an easy way for me to respond to this particular piece, with suggestions to people for how to get more information. (I will send something to the list, addressing this, and that works for people who are on the list, but I think this message should be easily accessible to anyone who accesses the web site.) So, I think you should also include a "resource listing" on the web site--I didn't see it--where people could see right off the top sites for information on labor: like AUD, Labor Notes, Michael Eisenscher's Information Solidarity Service, my on-line labor bibliography, etc. (And as I write this, I realize I need to list CL News on MY web site--will do so in June, when I return to work!)
[/SIZE][/FONT]
Hello,

I am pleased to announce that the CLNews  E-mail
List Archive and List Sign-Up Form are now in operation.

You  may immediately use the archive browser at
http://www.clnews.org/lists/

While  both the CLNews E-mail List Sign-Up Form and
the Archive Browse are  permanently available
at the center top of site http://clnews.org/
With Respect and Cheers,