Author Topic: The UAW Has Sold Out Delphi Membership  (Read 2800 times)

CL Admin

• Link via RSS Feed
  • Administrator
  • Offline Offline
The UAW Has Sold Out Delphi Membership
« on: June 23, 2007, 03:42:08 PM »
June 24, 2007
The UAW Has Sold Out Delphi  Membershipby Todd M. Jordan/UAW Local 292
We need to ask ourselves. Do we need an international union to negotiate concessions for us? Can’t we do that ourselves, without a union? Or do we need a union that will fight for us and our co-workers?
I say vote [...]

More...

Gregg Shotwell

The UAW Has Sold Out Delphi Membership
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 06:44:34 AM »
Live Bait & Ammo # WTF

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot! Why should anyone vote for a wage cut? What sucker couldn’t see the hook in this worm? This isn’t a collective bargaining agreement, it’s a wholesale union bust. We fought for years to attain parity, cost of living, pensions, health care, thirty-and-out, and the Concession Caucus expects us to give it up so they can get back to licking the frosting off their fingers?

The Con Caucus helped Delphi clean house so new hires would be the controlling party. Great strategy. Except for one thing. They forgot to pay them off. They expect new hires to vote yes on a contract that gives them nothing, not even full cost of living? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!

Contractual language is confounding, so keep it simple. “Traditional” skilled trades employees who do not take an hourly wage cut will be eligible for “a one time buy down payment of $10,000.”

Why? Because they will be “covered by the skilled trades wage and benefit provisions of the Supplemental Agreement.” In other words, they stand to lose a minimum of $10,000 dollars in health care benefits and COLA. Likewise, new hires can look forward to a lower standard of living. About $10,000 lower because........

“COLA adjustments shall be eliminated and replaced by Wage Formula increases....” Whiskey Tango Foxtrot! ...... either “a percentage equal to the greater of (a) the annual percentage increase in average hourly earnings, excluding overtime, of employees in the Manufacturing sector (BLS Series CEU3000000033) or (b) the annual percentage increase in the All Items, Less Medical, CPI-W Index (1982-84-100)”...... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot! ......  “In the event a calculated increase exceeds 3.75%, wages will be increased by 3.75% and the parties will determine a mutually acceptable disposition of, the excess, guided by the twin goals [emphasis added] of enhancing UAW members’ job security and income security and the company’s competitiveness.”

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot! Where does the Con Caucus get the phlegm to boost “twin goals” of job security and company competitiveness in light of the Delphi debacle? What next? You got it! Commitments from GM and Delphi to invest and award new product. They must think we’ve never been foxtrotted before. Jobs and investment commitments “are subject to change based on future program revisions, and are not financial or volume guarantees.” Just the tone is enough to burn a virgin’s ears.

Lest I forget to finger the hole in the donut, please note:  item G on page 18 is “Intentionally Omitted.” Can’t get more transparent than nothing.

Back to murky basics. The old timers get a “soft landing” in a cow paddy so they don’t feel the barb in the hook until later, but the new hires are left with low pay, no pension, substandard health care, and a future full of diminishing expectations.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot! What’s the pay off for new hires? You’re lucky to have a job? Ten plants will be closed. Seven plants will be sold. Only four plants will remain Delphi.

Here’s the worm. All temps will be made permanent so they will be eligible for severance of $1,500 per month of service up to $40,000.  The majority of workers do not have a future with Delphi other than severance. There’s the future of the UAW: bargaining severance for workers who haven’t even started. Buy them off early and avoid late fees.

Is there anything in the contract that will sweep out the retirees who return as “contract” scabs and steal jobs from new hires? Retirees make more money sitting home than the new hires make working and when they return to Delphi they make $20 per hour — 25% more than new hires. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot! There is language covering the double dippers.

“The UAW and Delphi agree that temporary employees may be used to satisfy need-to-run requirements in plants that are considered ‘Wind Downs’, ‘Sell’, and ‘Footprint’. Temporary employees may be used in ‘Keep’ sites to bridge any difficulties arising from the implementation of the attrition portion of this Agreement.”

I love the way they punctuate convoluted legal jargon with “Wind Downs,” “Sell”, “Footprint,” and “Keep sites.” It’s so down homey I wanna blow my nose in a bandanna.

GM will provide opportunities for Delphi employees in Flint and Dayton to become GM employees in new SPO facilities “at the wage and benefit levels as contained within the the modified UAW-Delphi Supplemental Agreement.” It’s backdoor two tier for GM employees. Look out SPOs. The count down’s begun.

But here’s the dropkick: All the plants will “Conclude local COA negotiations within 60 days following ratification.” Whiskey Tango Foxtrot! We get gelded to boot.

*   “Elimination of uncompetitive activities (direct and indirect): outsource/subcontract as             required.”

*   “Reduce skilled trades classifications”
         “No restrictions on combinations of jobs”

*   “Reduce production classifications to a minimum”
         “No restrictions on combination of jobs.”

*   “Reduce employee movement to protect quality of product and operating efficiencies.”  
             [In other words, limit shift preference, job preference, and basic seniority rights.]

*    “No Fault Attendance Program”

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!  We need to organize a union.      

(sos, Gregg Shotwell)

Tony Budak

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • Community Labor News
Entire Delphi Agreement presented to Bankruptcy Court
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 03:43:07 PM »
----- Original Message -----
 Sent: Saturday, July 07, 2007 10:52 AM
 Subject: Please post (entire 149 pages Delphi Agreement presented to  Bankruptcy court

Here is the entire MOU. They only passed out 45 pages this is 149 pages. I  wonder why they would hide this information. I noticed in the UAW contract  changes that it was filed on June 22, 2007 with the court the same day they  announced an agreement was reached. They had agreed and it was announced by the  international Union that the Athens site was going to be phases out but the  court Dcvouments say it is to be sold.

After the colored pages please notice the Term Sheet. It was not presented  as part of the MOU even though it was mentioned in the language. Then there is  the UAW Check Off sheets this is where if you look for Local 2195 loacl  agreeement it says the site is to be sold not wind down. It also has the  examples of how our pension benefit guarantee will be triggered for different  people of differing situations.

Was this all smoke and mirrows designed to get traditional employees such  as you and me to transfer? If not, why then was union officials telling the new  hires to vote yes for the agreement because the plants were going to be sold to  Platinum? They did not tell us traditional employees that. That is why so many  of our new people voted even though they were told the plant was going to  close.
 Also notice the have excluded Athens in some of issues WHY?

I. S.  Bill

Editor's NOTE, The entire proposal is available to download, but
be patient it is a large file which is just below this note, to begin download,  click the following PDF file.
With Respect and Cheers,
Tony Budak, Site Owner and Webmaster

Please do not email or PM me for CLNews technical  support. Instead Post Questions and Concerns Here

Tony Budak

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • Community Labor News
Email Response from the U.S. Department of Labor
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 11:45:52 PM »
 Sent: Friday, July 20, 2007 11:03 PM
 Subject: Fwd: Email Response from the U.S. Department of  Labor

Hi:
I thought all of you might be interested in knowing who  the members of the GM and Delphi Pension Plan, Board of Administers are. These  people are responsible for the implementation of the companies' decisions to  change or modify the terms of our plans. They are also by recognized as the  functional Fiduciaries of the Pension plan.    

Furthermore, these are the people union members and  beneficiaries of the UAW-GM/Delphi Pension plans must appeal to if you are not  satisfied with the way your pension plan is being administered. This is the  internal procedure according to Exhibit A "Supplemental Agreement" on Pension of  the UAW-GM/Delphi national agreements. Now you see that the UAW has been  implicitly involved.

There are six members of the "Board of Administrators,"  three appointed from the Corporation and three form the UAW. Please get a copy  of Exhibit "A" and read the first section.    

I have no idea where or how this kind of appeal fits in  the appeal process of our Constitution, but I am about to find out.    

Over a month ago I wrote to Gettelfinger requesting the  names of the three Unions' appointees and I have not received a response from  the UAW as of the sending of this e-mail. I also wrote Mr. Preston Crabill of GM  and he refused to give me the names. Said I had no legal right to have them  since I was not a Participant of the GM plan.    

Therefore, I had to make a request to the DOL in order  to get the names. The E-mail letter below is the response I received from the  DOL.

If the UAW could not nor would not as Members of the  board of administrators of our pension plan protect the vested rights and  interest of GM-UAW workers who were transferred to Delphi in 1999. Additionally,  agree with a Term Sheet negotiated between Delphi and GM called the GM agreement  allow GM to circumvent the protection afforded members by ERISA. by negotiating  a Benefit Guarantee that is not meant to be a pension plan protected by ERISA.(  that langauge was written into the term sheet  of the new Delphi agreement) How  in the world can we expect the Union to protect the rights of its members  administering the new DC-VEBA healthcare programs.    

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, it empowers  people if used wisely.

Stay well                      
I. S.  Bill  Hanline

With Respect and Cheers,

Please do not email or PM me for CLNews technical  support. Instead Post Questions and Concerns Here

Tony Budak

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • Community Labor News
Email Response from the U.S. Department of Labor
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 11:49:01 PM »
 To: <Skiphanline@aol.com>
 Cc: "Donahue, Christine - EBSA" <Donahue.Christine@dol.gov>;  "Gatesman, Valerie - EBSA" <Gatesman.Valerie@dol.gov>
 Sent: Friday, July 20, 2007 12:39 PM
 Subject: Email Response from the U.S. Department of Labor

Dear Mr. Hanline:

This is in response to your recent  email  to the Employee Benefits
Security Administration (EBSA) in which you  asked for names and contact
information for the pension plan trustees for  General Motors (GM),
Delphi Automotive (Delphi) and the United Auto Worker  (UAW).

EBSA representatives contacted plan officials regarding your  question,
and we were provided with the following information.  

The  UAW members of the GM-UAW Pension Board of Administrators are: Mike
Grimes,  David Shoemaker and Jim King.  The Alternate is Bonnie Reffitt.
The GM Board  Members are: Jean L. Rose, Preston M. Crabill, and Kevin B.
Duff.  The  Alternate is Denise M. McDonald-Vecellio.  Their office
address is Solidarity  House, 8000 East Jefferson Ave., Detroit, MI

The Delphi  Pension Plan Board of Administration's address is 5825 Delphi
Drive, MC  480-410-104, Troy, MI 48098.  John L DeMarco is Delphi's
Director of Pension  & Welfare Benefit Plans.  Mr. DeMarco's office
telephone number is (248)  813-3016

I hope this information is helpful to you.
With Respect and Cheers,