Author Topic: Kim Scipes  (Read 2337 times)

Kim Scipes

• Offline Offline
Kim Scipes
« on: May 09, 2007, 11:19:10 AM »
Hello, Folks--

My name is Kim Scipes, and I just joined the List.

Some of you know me (or of my writings), but for those who don't, I'm a long-time labor activist, who has been active on both international and national labor issues (as well as other things).  I'm a vet, having spent four years in the USMC, from 1969-73, although staying in the States all four years.  I have been a member of three unions in the past--the Graphic Communications International Union, the National Education Association, and the American Federation of Teachers.  I'm currently a member of the National Writers Union.  I have been politically active since 1971, and joined the labor movement in 1981:  I have been writing since 1984.

I've been active in a number of projects over the years.  I was with the Plant Closures Project from 1983-89, fighting against plant closures and economic dislocation in the SF Bay Area.  And for 13 months in 2002-03, I was the Executive Director of The Calumet Project, a labor-church-community coalition, fighting economic dislocation and ecological devastation in Northwest Indiana.  I have been a long-time opponent of the AFL-CIO's foreign policy program, and am one of the founding members of the Worker to Worker Solidarity Committee (http://www.workertoworker.net ).

I work as an Assistant Professor of Sociology at Purdue University North Central in Westville, Indiana, although I live in Chicago.

One of the things that might be of use to folks is that I maintain an on-line Current Labor Issues Bibliography that is updated as I get more material.  I link material whenever possible, so you can download some of it.  (I am always open to suggestions and recommendations for things to be added.)You can find this by going to http://faculty.pnc.edu/kscipes , and then clicking on the link.  (Currently, at the top of the Bibliography is my article, "Neo-Liberal Economic Policies in the United States:  The Impact on American Workers," as well as a great song with video called "We Can't Make It Here."  Together, this will give some of the best understanding of what's happening to working people in the country.)

However, I teach a range of subjects [Race and Ethnic Diversity, Social Stratification (i.e., income inequality), Sociology of Developing Countries, and Sociology of the Environment) and along with a section on "General Sociology" and a increasing list of materials on the mass media, and you can access these by clicking on my "Course Resource List."  If you are interested in any of these issues, I am seeking and regularly updating material related to these subjects--for example, see my section on "Climate Change" under the Sociology of the Environment section.  I've got some great stuff here!

Anyway, am glad to be on the List.

Best--

Kim

Tony Budak

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • Community Labor News
Welcome Kim
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 01:31:47 PM »
Hi Kim,
It is really good of you to register and introduce yourself to the CL forum community. Thank you. It is difficult to organize actions in the real world and even more so here on line. Your involvement is appreciated and your brief but detailed bio will hopefully set an example of openness for others to follow.  Thanks again. :D
With Respect and Cheers,
Tony Budak, Site Owner and Webmaster

Please do not email or PM me for CLNews technical  support. Instead Post Questions and Concerns Here