Author Topic: Richard Negri / Union Review  (Read 2221 times)

Unionreview.com

• Offline Offline
    • http://www.unionreview.com
Richard Negri / Union Review
« on: July 28, 2007, 12:12:41 AM »
Hello Friends,

My name is Richard Negri. I am a freelance writer, web consultant for unions and rank-and-file members, as well as a union activist. I am a member of the National Writers Union UAW Local 1981 and the Freelancers Union, and I am the founder/publisher of Union Review (http://www.unionreview.com), a site with a mission to provide an online venue to share labor related news and opinions.

I started Union Review in 2005 following the AFL-CIO split. The site sat stagnant for a while and was revived and brought to its current format in late April of this year.

Aside from the last 10 years as a freelancer, I worked a variety of jobs. I loaded trailers for UPS, drove a small fish truck for a while, had a stint as a stage hand (which I was not very good at), and worked in sales and marketing before becoming a journalist. All the while I held a second life in the arts. I am a bass player and performance poet. In that world I have a book of poems published and two CDs of spoken-word and original jazz that I co-wrote with Mr. Howard Mall. My life in the arts is somewhat explained at a site aptly titled: http://www.richardnegri.com and myspace.com/jazzypoet.

At the last leg of my sales and marketing career I worked at the Village Voice. I was elected to be shop steward of my division and became very active in UAW Local 2110. After leaving the Voice I did a great deal of volunteer work with Local 32BJ and three different Teamster locals in NYC.

As a journalist I worked with Reuters, the AP, Employment Review Magazine, theWhiz.com (folded), and eventually became a senior managing editor at an ABC-TV News affiliate based in Miami, Florida. (I worked on the station's web presence and doubled as assignment / desk ed).

As freelancer I have worked for Title I Newsletter, Rhinomite.com (an employment website that is now owned by Jobbing.com), businessnews.com and countless other online and print journals.

Over the last six years I have branched out to provide web services to various small businesses and labor organizations as part of my work. It is at this point that I am hardly writing at all. I still handle some copywriting jobs that come in, and of course work on UR, but mostly my writing revolves around letters and proposals.  I am teamed up with other union programmers and designers and one nonunion shop that specializes in Cold Fusion programming. All of my skills with sales and marketing mixed well with my journalism background to create a very diverse work week -- nothing is ever the same from day-to-day.

To this end, Union Review has taken over my life :) ... It started as a small little blog where there was venue to spread news and views that I felt mainstream media just passed over -- to where I am receiving about 40 - 60 emails a day from reader/ writers and watching traffic on the site exponentially increase by the day; it is very exciting.

I am pleased to be part of this growing community. If there is ever anything posted on Union Review that anyone needs or wants at this site or others, please feel free to use it as you need.

In Solidarity,
-Richard

Tony Budak

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • Community Labor News
Richard Negri / Union Review
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 04:25:08 PM »
Hi Richard,

Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know about you and your web site. Cool bio, I am envious I must say of your experience and skill level with writing, very impressive.  

The Union Review site is extremely well laid out for easy navigation, lots of fresh content, active subscribers and a great color scheme. Again Iím starting to get green; however, I do think that free speech, debate, with fair competition and diversity works to the benefit of all labor.

Good for you and good for all of us in the middle and working class to have your participation. We need skilled writers using the internet like you to get this labor movement going.

Please continue to feel at home here at CLNews and when possible not only visit to read but publish an article when situations allow. For myself, I would love to read your material.
With Respect and Cheers,
Tony Budak, Site Owner and Webmaster

Please do not email or PM me for CLNews technical  support. Instead Post Questions and Concerns Here