• Welcome to Community Labor News Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 28, 2020, 09:50:08 pm

News:

If you are a member of the original vbulletin forum and wish to post with your former username you'll need to Reset your password  If you need help remembering your username or the email address you used to register, please feel free to contact Tony using the CLNEWS Contact Form

Jena Six

Started by Austin McCoy, July 02, 2007, 05:48:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Austin McCoy

I'm not sure how much anyone has heard about the Jena Six story down in Louisiana where six young black men were charged with attempted murder in a fight at school. According to a story that ran in an segment aired on CNN on Saturday night, no one really knows for sure who participated. One of the two students who denied involvement said he arrived to the scene after the melee.

One of the students charged, Mychal Bell, was convicted on June 28 of a lesser charge-second degree aggravated battery and conspiracy. He faces up to more than 22 years behind bars.

I ran into an online petition to be submitted to the Civil Rights Division of the Department of Justice: Jena Six Petition

While this is not meant to condone the violence, it is meant as a demand for fair treatment with regard to the circumstances.

Here's more information about the incident and the precarious circumstances:
Vox ex Machina Blog

From BBC News:

Democratic Underground

I encourage all to read and sign the petition!