Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 [10]
Infoshop News / Climate change made Florence a monster?but media failed to tell that story
« Last post by Alternative Media Project on September 28, 2018, 06:00:21 AM »
Climate change made Florence a monster?but media failed to tell that story

That Hurricane Florence broke rainfall records for tropical storms in both North and South Carolina shouldn?t be surprising, as global climate change has increased extreme precipitation in all areas of the continental United States.

The post Climate change made Florence a monster?but media failed to tell that story appeared first on Infoshop News.

Source: Climate change made Florence a monster?but media failed to tell that story
Here's How an Expert in Sexual Violence Thinks About the Allegations Against Brett Kavanaugh ? and How He Defends Against Them

The allegations have quickly come to be seen through a political lens ? but they deserve to be considered on their own merits.

As Christine Blasey Ford prepares to testify about her allegations of sexual assault against Judge Brett Kavanaugh, and he prepares to testify in his defense, the heated political debates consuming the country are almost certain to subsume any reasoned, informed assessment of the facts.

To better understand how to think about the allegations made about Kavanaugh and his reaction to being accused, I reached out to Robin Cooper, LCSW, M.Ed. Cooper is a social worker who specializes in serving people convicted of sexual offenses and intimate partner violence.

With Ford set to testify before the Senate, the primary political questions are: Will she appear credible? Will the Senators find her to be a believable and compelling witness?

But Cooper argued that this framing is the not necessarily the best way to approach Ford's claims.

"I'm not really sure how to measure credibility in an individual coming forward with allegations of abuse of any kind. I think the idea that we as a culture have come up with a credibility report card (specifically for women and other oppressed populations) is problematic," she wrote. "I think it's important that we start making the shift toward believing people who come forward about abuse, rather than focusing on their 'credibility.'"

She added: "I am inclined to believe people when they take the steps to come forward and state that something awful has happened to them. There is far too much that occurs after coming forward to do so without much thought."

Kavanaugh has denied the accusations made against him by Ford, as well as the other women who have made claims against him. Cooper explained that even if the allegations are completely true, Kavanaugh may still believe his own denials.

"It's really difficult for any of us to acknowledge (let alone actively own) behaviors/characteristics about ourselves that are different than our view of self," she said. "I have also worked with people convicted of sexual offenses who truly had a different experience of the assault, and it took work for those individuals to consider the ways in which their actions were experienced by the people on the receiving end of their actions. That does not invalidate the allegations."

She continued: "That being said, I'm not a judge. I'm a mental health professional and it is far out of my professional reach to determine guilt or innocence." 

Cooper also pointed out that Kavanaugh's claim that he didn't have sexual intercourse until many years after the alleged incident ? he was a virgin, he told Fox News' Martha MacCallum ? has little to do with the accusations against him.

"From all available information, whether or not Mr. Kavanaugh was engaging in penetrative sex during the time period Dr. Ford has stated the assault occurred is not relevant," she said.

Ultimately, Cooper argues that we need to start thinking differently about sexuality, sexual assault, and gender before we can actually start to address the problem.

"I am a firm believer that there will be little to no change in individual behaviors until the larger social belief systems about gender, sexual contact, and sexuality are addressed on a macro level. I think we, as a culture, often target individuals to correct behaviors when we have nurtured a culture that is supportive of violence toward oppressed communities," she said.

"That does not mean I do not believe in holding individuals accountable for their actions," she concluded. "[It] does mean that we have a lot of work to do to successfully/effectively work toward prevention of sexual assault."

Related Stories

Source: Here's How an Expert in Sexual Violence Thinks About the Allegations Against Brett Kavanaugh ? and How He Defends Against Them
Woods Makes Jack Nicklaus Happy. He's no Kaepernick That's For Sure

You did good Tiger. No politics please.
The story is that when it became clear that Tiger Woods was to be the next golf great that the powers that be arranged a round between him and two of the former golf greats. The rumor is it was Palmer and Nicklaus. After the round they had a chat. The golf legends recognized Woods' talent and that he was likely to be the man to beat on the golf course in the future.  The object of the chat was to make sure Woods understood that as such he represented all of America, not any part of America. Not any particular part of America, not "black" America, this was emphasized to him.

What was happening there was an intervention by the ruling class through two willing mouthpieces. Being part black and extremely popular, it was a warning to Woods. They did not want another Ali, a Tommie Smith or John Carlos.  They were afraid that Woods might begin to think about the special oppression of the black people and use his position as a top athlete to begin to speak out on their behalf. This conversation with these old golfers was to cut across the possibility of this development.

It worked back then and Woods continues to obey the rules and keep his mouth shut today. He's been a clothes horse for Nike and other sports clothing companies making millions of dollars in the process much like Michael Jordan and others. Jordan, worth over $2 billion, refused to meet brutalized Vietnamese workers when they came to the US to plead for help against the horrific conditions they face making shoes and other apparel for first world consumers. Capitalism at its most savage. It takes talented athletes and turns them into a brand.

Woods is a friend of Trump and plays golf with him. He was asked by the media last week about "At a time, especially 2018, I think a lot of people, especially people of color, immigrants, feel threatened by him, by his policies, he's thrown himself into sports debates in terms of race with LeBron James, with the anthem....."  one question began. "He's the president of the United States and you have to respect the office.." Woods replied, adding, ".....and no matter who's in the office, you may like, dislike personality or the politics, but we all must respect the office."
Carlos, Smith and Norman

Woods also refused to comment on Trumps racial issues. Well he made Jack Nicklaus happy, "I thought Tiger handled it very well," Nicklaus said.

The lecture Woods is rumored to have had in the early stages reflects the fear the US ruling class has over influential black athletes speaking out about racism in the US. This is at the root of all the hostility among sections of the US bourgeois to Kaepernick's stand against racism by kneeling during a national anthem. The ruling class is afraid   
-->

This is why the nationalist card is played in the mass media that he is disrespecting the flag (a piece of cloth mind you) or veterans. Kaepernick's stance has nothing to do with flags or veterans but millions of brainwashed Americans are buying the idea that it does. The force in society that disrespects veterans the most is the US government and the members of Congress.

That the ruling class goes through such efforts to demonize Kaepernick and sent two of its flunkies to make sure Woods never became another Ali and an influential figure among the most resolute black youth, is a lesson for all those that claim workers are weak, that the predominantly white racist capitalist class is invincible. It shows Woods is weak, that's all. Woods and Tom Brady are made of the same material.

Source: Woods Makes Jack Nicklaus Happy. He's no Kaepernick That's For Sure
Trump Loses It in Press Conference ? Tells Journalists It's 'Fine' If They Call His Behavior Obstruction of Justice

When asked about Rod Rosenstein, Trump's response went completely off the rails.

On Wednesday, President Donald Trump gave an unhinged press conference in which he, among other things, said George Washington might have committed sexual assault, attacked Canada, denied the fact that the entire UN laughed at him yesterday, and referred to a Kurdish reporter as "Mr. Kurd."

One of his craziest moments, however, might have been when a reporter asked him about the ongoing controversy surrounding Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, who sources initially reported was being fired earlier this week in a blur of confusion: "Mr. President, are you planning to fire Rod Rosenstein?"

"I'm talking to him," said Trump. "We've had a good talk. He said he never said it, he said he doesn't believe it, he said he has a lot of respect for me, and he was very nice, and we'll see, and he is a member of the Trump administration in that sense, it is the Justice Department. I would certainly prefer not doing that. There was no collusion, there was no obstruction ? unless you call obstruction the fact that I fight back. I do fight back. I really fight back. I mean, if you call that obstruction, that's fine."

In other words, the President of the United States is telling reporters they should feel free to say he committed obstruction of justice with regard to the Russia investigation if they want to.

Trump has been dogged with accusations of obstruction of justice ever since he fired FBI Director James Comey in an attempt to stop the investigation. Rosenstein, who has overseen the Russia investigation ever since Attorney General Jeff Sessions recused himself, soon after appointed Robert Mueller as special counsel to prosecute the case. Some reports suggest that Mueller himself has investigated Trump's behavior, including his tweets, with respect to an obstruction probe.

Trump and his supporters, who have called Mueller's investigation a "witch hunt" as his prosecutors have secured several indictments and guilty pleas from members of Trump's 2016 presidential campaign, have devloped a frosty relationship with Rosenstein as these events have unfolded. Many have called for Rosenstein to be fired, a move some fear would blow up the investigation. These fears came to a head last week, after The New York Times published a report detailing Rosenstein's apparent disrespect for Trump behind closed doors.

Related Stories

Source: Trump Loses It in Press Conference ? Tells Journalists It's 'Fine' If They Call His Behavior Obstruction of Justice
Texas Lawmaker Who Says Same-Sex Marriage Leads to Pedophilia Accused of Sending Unsolicited Photo of His Penis to a Grad Student

Schwertner is running for re-election this year.

Texas Republican State Senator Charles Schwertner is being accused of sending a graphic text message to a University of Texas grad student. That text included, allegedly, a photograph of his genitals and a message saying, "I just really want to f?- you."

Senator Schwertner, who is married and has three children, denies the allegation. University officials say they are considering banning him if the allegation proves to be true, the American-Statesman reports.

The conservative Republican met the student at a university on-campus event. She told him she was interested in working in the legislature. They exchanged messaged via LinkedIn before moving to text messaging.

But all of a sudden, "Schwertner abruptly wrote, 'I just really want to f?- you,' and sent her an image that appeared to be a picture of his genitals that was taken in the shower, according to a UT official who has seen the exchange and the photo. The image does not include his face, the official said."

The senator's office issued a statement saying he "categorically denies any knowledge of the accusations leveled against him and only became aware of this allegation when contacted by the media."

Schwertner is running for re-election this year. Voters will choose between him and Democrat Meg Walsh.

In 2014 Sen. Schwertner signed on to an amicus brief supporting the false claim that legal "recognition of same-sex marriage ?could lead to the recognition of bigamy, incest, pedophilia, and group marriage,'? as HuffPost reported. Other signatories included Ken Paxton, now the state's Attorney General, and Dan Patrick, now the state's Lt. Governor. Patrick, a very powerful far right wing conservative, has endorsed Schwertner for re-election.

Source: Texas Lawmaker Who Says Same-Sex Marriage Leads to Pedophilia Accused of Sending Unsolicited Photo of His Penis to a Grad Student
Infoshop News / The Last Man to Know Everything
« Last post by Alternative Media Project on September 26, 2018, 08:14:31 PM »
The Last Man to Know Everything

One hopes his latest book, Old Gods, New Enigmas: Marx?s Lost Theory?a disparate collection of four essays on working-class history, nationalism, and the environment?will not be his last; the man needs to write a memoir. The only way to make sense of the new book?s blunderbuss array of topics is to know Davis?s vast scholarly corpus.

The post The Last Man to Know Everything appeared first on Infoshop News.

Source: The Last Man to Know Everything
Infoshop News / It?s Time to Ban Nukes for Good
« Last post by Alternative Media Project on September 26, 2018, 08:14:31 PM »
It?s Time to Ban Nukes for Good

Use of any nuclear weapon, regardless of its killing power, could be catastrophically destabilizing.

The post It?s Time to Ban Nukes for Good appeared first on Infoshop News.

Source: It?s Time to Ban Nukes for Good
'Good, Unscripted Moment': Fox & Friends Praises Claims UN Didn't Laugh at Trump's Face But ?People Twisted It?

?I liked when everyone laughed afterward,? co-host Brian Kilmeade told insisted.

Leave it to "Fox & Friends" to rewrite recent history.

The president's favorite TV show Wednesday morning announced that the world leaders and diplomats at the United Nations weren't laughing at President Trump on Tuesday when he bragged and boasted about his achievements. No, they were just "having fun."

?I liked when everyone laughed afterward,? co-host Brian Kilmeade told viewers. ?It was good, unscripted moment in a very scripted situation.?

It was definitely unscripted.

Trump, at the beginning of his address to the General Assembly announced, ?In less than two years, my administration has accomplished more than almost any administration in the history of our country.?

The audience laughed. Trump, a bit shaken, ad libbed: "So true."

Then, as the laughter continued, he added, ?Didn?t expect that reaction, but that?s okay.?

Kilmeade told Fox News viewers, ?I couldn?t believe how people twisted it.?

Once again, here's video of the UN laughing at the President of the United States:

Mediaite has the "Fox & Friends" clip.

Source: 'Good, Unscripted Moment': Fox & Friends Praises Claims UN Didn't Laugh at Trump's Face But ?People Twisted It?
Infoshop News / In Alaska, Starving Seabirds and Empty Colonies Signal a Broken Ecosystem
« Last post by Alternative Media Project on September 26, 2018, 06:48:29 AM »
In Alaska, Starving Seabirds and Empty Colonies Signal a Broken Ecosystem

Mass die-offs and breeding failures, now ongoing for years, have marine biologists worried that this is a new normal caused by climate change.

The post In Alaska, Starving Seabirds and Empty Colonies Signal a Broken Ecosystem appeared first on Infoshop News.

Source: In Alaska, Starving Seabirds and Empty Colonies Signal a Broken Ecosystem
Infoshop News / How Climate Catastrophe Victimizes the Poor
« Last post by Alternative Media Project on September 26, 2018, 06:48:29 AM »
How Climate Catastrophe Victimizes the Poor

Climate change catastrophe is, as this article is written, facing hundreds of thousands on the eastern seaboard of the United States and on the Philippines island of Luzon, as Hurricane Florence and Typhoon Mangkhut make landfall simultaneously. Mangkhut also threatens Hong Kong, South China and maybe Vietnam.

The post How Climate Catastrophe Victimizes the Poor appeared first on Infoshop News.

Source: How Climate Catastrophe Victimizes the Poor
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 [10]